A tank engine of quite a new design, intended for local services, was introduced upon the G. N. R. in 1898, having ten wheels, inside cylinders, and side tanks, with a coal bunker at the trailing end. No. 1009, shown in the accompanying Fig. 94, was the first one of this class, which has so far comprised ten engines having the following dates and numbers : —
|Date.||Doncaster Nos.||Engine Nos.||Date.||Doncaster Nos.||Engine Nos.|
As originally built, Nos. 1009 and 1010 had ordinary rigid axle boxes to the trailing wheels, whilst the rest were provided with radial axle boxes in order to secure greater flexibility of wheel-base. No. 1009 also differed from the others in having its Doncaster number plate at the front end of the tank instead of on the frame.
In all other respects the engines of the class were identical, and they were built as nearly as possible to the standard dimensions introduced by Mr. Ivatt, according to the following official figures: the bogie and trailing wheels had a diameter of 3-ft. 7 1/2-in., and the coupled wheels had a diameter of 5-ft. 7 1/2-in. Wheel-base: bogie wheels, centre to centre 6-ft. 3-in., with the bogie pin only 3-ft. in advance of the hind bogie wheel axle; from hind bogie axle to driving axle, centre to centre 6-ft. 3-in.; coupled axles, centre to centre 8-ft. 3-in., and from centre of hind coupled axle to centre of trailing axle 6-ft. The frame plates had a total length of 33-ft. 3 3/4-in., with an overhang of 2-ft. 5-in. and 3-ft. 7 3/4-in. at the leading and trailing ends respectively.
Cylinders 17 1/2-in. in diameter with a stroke of 26-in. The boiler was pitched with its centre line 7-ft. 6-in. above the rail level, and had a barrel measuring 10-ft. 1-in. long, and 4-ft. 3 7/8-in. in diameter outside the smallest ring. It contained 215 tubes of 1 3/4-in. outside diameter, and was provided with a smoke-box measuring 2-ft. 8 7/8-in. in length outside, and with a firebox casing having an outside length of 5-ft. 6-in.
The working pressure of the boiler was 170 lbs. per sq. in., and the heating surface was made up to a total of 1123.8 sq. ft., of which the firebox contributed 103.1 sq. ft., and the tubes 1020.7 sq. ft., while the grate area measured 17.8 sq. ft. The capacity of the tanks was 1350 gallons, and of the coal bunker 50 cwt., and in full working order engines of this class weighed a total of 39 tons 15 cwt., distributed as follows: Bogie wheels 15 tons 10 cwt., driving wheels 16 tons 13 cwt., coupled wheels 17 tons, and trailing wheels 10 tons 10 cwt.
These ten engines were not provided with appliances for condensing, and were fitted with cast-iron chimneys of the usual height, so that they were not adapted for Metropolitan traffic involving trips through the “Underground” but subsequently other engines of the same general type and dimensions, but with special modifications fitting them for tunnel work, were built.
This class became the LNER C12, and the Small Atlantics became the LNER C2