“Four locomotives were purchased from Messrs. Peto, Brassey & Betts in 1849 and 1850, to which were given the G. N. R. Nos. 133 and 159 to 161. When at work on the G.N.R. No. 133 presented the general appearance shown in the accompanying illustration. Fig. 8, having four driving wheels of 5-ft. diameter, coupled in front, and a pair of 3-ft. 6-in. trailing wheels. The wheel-base was 14-ft. 6-in., of which 8-ft. 3-in. divided the driving wheel centres. Inside cylinders measuring 15-in. by 24-in., outside bearings throughout, a raised firebox and a dome placed well forward on the boiler barrel, and equalizing levers between the driving springs, were features of this engine, and Nos. 159 to 161 were apparently of much the same general design and dimensions. All these engines were built by Messrs. C. Tayleur.”
- Groves considers 160 and 161 to have possibly been built by B. Hick & Sons of Bolton.
- Originally 2-4-0’s, the locomotives were rebuilt as 0-4-2 tender engines.