The six-wheeled goods engines Nos. 101 to 115, were built by Messrs. R. & W.Hawthorn in 1848. The illustration, Fig. 6, here given of No. 101 shows the leading features of this class, which had four wheels coupled in front, with equalizing levers connecting the springs, and a pair of smaller trailing wheels.
These wheels were respectively 5-ft. and 3-ft. 6-in. in diameter, the driving-wheel centres being 7-ft. 6-in. apart and the total wheel-base 14-ft. ; the cylinders measured 15-in. by 24-in. With a boiler barrel 10-ft. long and 3-ft. 10-in. in diameter, containing 166 tubes of 2-in. diameter, and an internal firebox 3-ft. 6-in. long by 3-ft. 5-in. broad, there was a total heating surface of 970 sq. ft., of which the firebox contributed 75 and the tubes 895 sq. ft. The weight of these engines was about 26 tons.