“In 1850 and 1851 two passenger engines which had been ordered from Messrs. E. B. Wilson & Go. were put to work, bearing Nos. 201 and 202. They were built in accordance with the firm’s speciality in single driving engines, with inside bearings to the driving wheels and outside bearings to the leading and trailing wheels, this conjunction of details, together with others less conspicuous, constituting what was known as the ” Jenny Lind ” pattern, over which some heated discussions have at times been centred.
These two engines for the G. N. R. had driving and carrying wheels of 6-ft. and 4-ft. respectively, and had cylinders 16-in. in diameter, with an original stroke of 20-in., which was subsequently lengthened to 22-in., when they were rebuilt some years later by Mr. Stirling. The accompanying illustration of the original ” Jenny Lind,” Fig. 10, may be taken as representing Nos. 201 and 202 on the G. N. R. when built. Neither of these engines, however, bore the name-plate shown here on their prototype, and they also probably presented a few minor differences in matters of detail.”